We gather as a worshipping community each Sunday followed by morning tea and a time of fellowship.
To assist you to participate fully in Sunday worship here is an outline of what you would normally expect to happen at St Thomas'. Our service is divided into three main sections. These sections reflect our vision statement.
I. Welcoming All (The Gathering of the People of God)
- We stand to sing as the Elder of the Day carries in the Bible and lights the Christ candle (Christ is the Word of God and the Light of the World).
- We are reminded that it is God who welcomes us, as the minister or other worship leader calls the people to worship.
- We are invited to welcome one another.
- Songs are from the red Together in Song book (TIS), or the smaller black-
covered Song Book (SB). The numbers are listed on the board on the wall, and, on most Sundays, on a PowerPoint slide projected on the display screen.
- Prayers are offered, which may include a prayer of confession in which we acknowledge that we live in a broken world. We are reminded that it is specifically this broken world that God loves, and that with God there is always the offer of new life, a fresh start.
II. Growing in Christ
- An introduction known as the Early Word may specifically include the children, who are then invited to move to the foyer for activities based on the theme of the day.
- Up to three bible Readings and a psalm may be read.
- A sermon or some other reflection on the readings is given.
on the third Sunday of the month. All are welcome at Christ's Table, including children.
III. Engaging the Community
- Through the Offering of money (symbolising the offering of our lives),
- in our Prayers for the Church and the World,
- and through the activities of the congregation.
- We are then sent out to live as God's people.
- We respond to the blessing with a song as the Elder leads us out, carrying the Bible.